What do you think happens when you die?

Discuss anything not related to minecraft
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Re: What do you think happens when you die?

Post by RevStoningpot »

And that's most likely due to the conversion of european pagans to christianity. And yet that still isn't the same as the dead human type ghost i'm thinking of.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

i was able to find this little piece of useless shit
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 303AAgjzxI
I think the answerers were confused and tryed to explain where the ghosts themselves come from
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

You probably go to the same world in an alternate universe where you narrowly escape your death, and live in this universe not knowing that you had died in another. JUST LIKE APOLLO THIRTEEN or something like that.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

I recently heard about a theory of evolution of matter. The basic idea was that atoms favor collectiveness and make the choice to bond the way they do. But more so he talked about single cell life forms and how they communicate chemically. At any rate the conclusion i drawed from this was that nonspiritual people will write off the soul as nothing more than our brains telling us how to feel etc. But if things with out brains are capable of desire then there must be some thing deeper that drives that desire. And if his theory of matter making choices in some way is right then that would mean all matter has some form of a soul. I have yet to figure out what exactly a soul is but i know there is more to it than what we see on the surface.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:You probably go to the same world in an alternate universe where you narrowly escape your death, and live in this universe not knowing that you had died in another. JUST LIKE APOLLO THIRTEEN or something like that.
Isn't it odd for scientist to disbelieve god soul etc. and yet believe in somthing like alternate universes? I think an alternate universe theory would actualy give more credibility to mythologies.
Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by Gnatogryz »

RevStoningpot wrote:Isn't it odd for scientist to disbelieve god soul etc. and yet believe in somthing like alternate universes?
I can't see any contradiction here. Also, I don't think that they "believe" in them, just think they might be possible - and if they do, it has to have a base in science.

God, ghosts etc. on the other hand didn't stem from science.
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

Post by waronchickens97 »

Death is often refered to as the destruction of conscious, wheras ghosts are thought to be a spiritual embodiment of the conscious. This is a direct contradiction, and only one theory is based in science. Guess which? :P
Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by Gnatogryz »

waronchickens97 wrote:Death is often refered to as the destruction of conscious, wheras ghosts are thought to be a spiritual embodiment of the conscious. This is a direct contradiction, and only one theory is based in science. Guess which? :P
This is not the only definition of death, nor the only definition of ghosts (or souls). Also, if death = destruction of consciousness, then I guess plants and bacteria never die? :)
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

alternate dimensions stem from religion as well. WTF do you think heaven and hell are. Also plants, maybe don't have consciousness but they do have feelings and desires. A plant crys when deprived of water, and registers responses to stimulus when hooked up to a polygraph. Sounds like consciousness to me.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

I think there's a difference between Consciousness and being Sentient.