Moving the spawn

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Re: Moving the spawn

Post by A. Pippenger »

So, being able to vote yes to multiple things? I think something like that is the only way to get an accurate idea of where people stand. Sounds good to me.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

As I said before, I don't think we should use this vote as the final word. If there's a close call, we'll need to go through it more, and if one is a clear winner, then there should be a new thread dedicated to finalizing the idea before it's put into place.
Mattias480
still building aboveground

Post by Mattias480 »

So, if 51% is not enough we should vote until we get 60% or 75%? That will never happen.Vote is final word, not someone's opinion after the voting. This is just BS. What gets majority of votes, wins. Anyway let's say there's a close call between moving the spawn vs clearing up the sky from crap near spawn. What is there to finalize and how do you finalize? You can't make compromises between these, since they are completely different things.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Votes only work on a near-unanimous basis. You usually need at least 60-70% of people to vote on something, and it to be a final vote. It's not a majority wins thing.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

I'm saying that if there's not a clear winner, we should rehash the options, and remove a few that don't apply any longer. If there is a clear winner, then the specifics of what that includes will need to be clarified. I'm saying that we can't just make this the final word in a matter that hasn't been fully thought out.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

So sort of like a runoff election? I don't see anything wrong with that concept.

If I understood Yukar right though, he means that you can vote yes to multiple things if you think they'd be a good idea. That means it's not really necessary to do multiple elimination rounds, strictly, because you already know what everyone thinks of everything. If you can vote yes to multiple things, there's no really "strategic voting" of selecting your favorite option that looks like it's going to win, you can just select anything you actually want, even if it's a longshot, to get a fully accurate picture of people's opinions.

A bit more discussion of the top two or three ideas before a final vote wouldn't hurt though I guess.

EDIT: I don't think it's ever taken much more than 50% though. We've discussed this before

http://simplicitypvp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1891
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

I just think we should get a vote that gathers the opinions of everyone affected, and then we take those into consideration, and then lay out a final plan (or several, depending on the voting outcome) and then vote again if needed.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

We'll need to discuss the specifics of whatever wins even if there is a clear winner, so yeah, I don't think this poll should be taken as the final word on this.

Also, once people on the server hear something is likely to happen, a whole lot of new people will have opinions probably.
Mattias480
still building aboveground

Post by Mattias480 »

I think that everything should be specified before voting. How things are going to be. In every selection. Maybe someone can explain what is there to specify after the vote result? If the spawn is going to be in some another location.. I'm sure staff can find a perfect place for it, depending of the vote result. If people chose closer location it would be let's say 2k,2k if farther then 10k,10k or 30k,30k. It could even be next to event arenas if im right, at 50k,50k. All these as selections. If the sky is going to be cleared, what is there to discuss, about the radius? This can be also specified before the vote. Just some reasonable distance, that would make a change. I'm not sure though, does that change have any noticeable effect. Specifying can be done before the vote. And the voting lasts usually some certain period, we could make it longer. So everyone has a chance to vote.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I don't think it would be efficient to specify every idea before taking a poll. Why put all that effort into it if it might come nowhere close to passing anyway?

Let's just say, vote yes if there is any distance you would be ok with spawn moving, be it 100 blocks or 100,000. Vote no if you don't think any move at all is good. You aren't committing to moving it 100 blocks if you'd prefer 100,000, you're just opening up a discussion of how far to move it.

If we figured out exactly how far to move spawn before voting, it would take forever. And wouldn't we have to figure out the specifics of the other ideas too? How big would a spawn reset be? How big would the random spawn radius be? How big would the starter world be? To thoroughly discuss all of these would take weeks and just make everyone confused. I think it's reasonable to take a preliminary poll now, just to see where we should focus our efforts.