map limit

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Add a 5k world boundary?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 52

lavadude42
[rawr]

Re: map limit

Post by lavadude42 »

Xestia not everyone is far out. I was just in a town that is not too far from spawn, not far at all actually. I'm not going to give any names, but there is a good handful of people there. All you have to do is find it. and i also know of a couple of other people who have made their base not far from spawn.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Those are the weekend people, every weekend the server fills up, then monday it goes down to 4 people again. If it was weekend all week I wouldn't want a map limit, but it isn't, the server is empy, a lot.
lavadude42
[rawr]

Post by lavadude42 »

Yes, the server fills up on weekends but i notice a lot of people close to spawn playing during the week. And if you want pvp then play on the weekends and build or do whatever on the weekdays.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

Well I only notice a few people by spawn during the week, but I'll admit I've never actually counted.

That's like saying 'the server is closed monday through friday, nothing to do about it'
dpy
OP

Post by dpy »

I don't support 5k. With our userbase (not at one time, but over the course of a day we have a good number of uniques), everything would be griefed/trees would all be gone pretty quickly.

That said, I would support 10k, and maybe slightly less. The amount of available space increases exponentially for every linear increase in boundary size.
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

I think you're underestimating the amount of available space we have within 5k blocks of spawn. Whether there's a world boundary or not only influences the destruction of the world by the increased amount of players, and surely you're not trying to argue that we shouldn't try and get more player. It took 5 months to destroy every tree within 1k blocks of spawn on the old server, it would take a lot of players and a lot longer to destroy every tree within 5k blocks of spawn in this new map, and even if we should reach such a point it shouldn't be hard increasing the limit.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

you seem to forget the last couple thousand of 5k is ocean. there's already no trees there. And if it were to be a bigger limit we'd need it to be 20k at least so people could reach mainland on the other side.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

No, but that would still mean every tree within 3k blocks of spawn had to be cut down, which would still quite a long time. Also the large oceans are also perfect for a world boundary, because they provide a perfect place to build a secret base.
Trance104
Donator

Post by Trance104 »

I do NOT like the idea of a map limit. I don't care the arguments.. Maintain Vanilla. Thanks!
Xestia
OP

Post by Xestia »

So.. dead server > 'pure' vanilla server (lol, it isn't even vanilla now)