World Peace Group Meditation

Discuss anything not related to minecraft
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Re: World Peace Group Meditation

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Bloop the poop wrote:Also, for lels: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/religion
Brilliant, Bloop. Thanks for sharing, had never seen that before but sums up a lot of the derpiness with wit and humor. I like.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

so jesus saves people from sin, a word they made up. Yet christians are huge sinners, believe they were born sinners and will always be sinners and they get sinned against all the time. But they still think they are saved from sin? Maybe you should try selling something that makes more sense, then people won't think you're dumb. I was at church with my grandma once while they made every one do their weekly confession of sin. I asked her "have you actually done something bad since last week?" Being a really good and kind person she couldn't come up with anything. But of coarse since sin is a made up concept christians just go around calling anything they don't like a sin. So again, how exactly are people saved from sin?

And nice comics there, i wish christians could see how stupid they look from every one else's side of things
Mr_Hole_Digger1
in diamond armor

Post by Mr_Hole_Digger1 »

RevStoningpot wrote:so jesus saves people from sin, a word they made up. Yet christians are huge sinners, believe they were born sinners and will always be sinners and they get sinned against all the time. But they still think they are saved from sin? Maybe you should try selling something that makes more sense, then people won't think you're dumb. I was at church with my grandma once while they made every one do their weekly confession of sin. I asked her "have you actually done something bad since last week?" Being a really good and kind person she couldn't come up with anything. But of coarse since sin is a made up concept christians just go around calling anything they don't like a sin. So again, how exactly are people saved from sin?

And nice comics there, i wish christians could see how stupid they look from every one else's side of things
Yeah, Jesus saves us from our sin. We did not make up sin, no idea where your heard that. One of God's angles betrayed Him. That angles name was Satan. Other angles choose to betray God too, those angles are called demons. Satan brought sin into the world and we fell for it too, including me and all Christians. Adam and Eve disobeyed God and listened to the devil by eating the fruit off the Tree Of Good And Evil. God does not like this, and it makes Him sad to see his creation this way. but as a loving God, he gave is the choice to either follow Him and have eternal life in Heaven, or reject Him and live a sinful, godless life ending up in Hell. He isn't forcing us to believe in Him, you have a choice, because He loves you.

Imagine if Yukarion made us all follow strict rules like no swearing, trolling, scamming, teasing and griefing. That wouldn't be very kind and loving of him would it? You want to be able to have freedom to do/choose what you want.

To finish this off, you're saved from sin by believing that God is the one true God and following Him.
Need me to simplify it more or have you guys had enough?
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

Mr_Hole_Digger1 wrote:Need me to simplify it more or have you guys had enough?
Its a nice story. And I am not demeaning it by calling it a story. It is one of many people have made up to explain the age old question:

Life. What the fuck?

It just isn't a very engaging story for a lot of people, myself included. And you seem unable or unwilling to step outside your own story for even a fraction of a second, so the conversation goes nowhere. Yours is the One True Story, blah blah blah, just like most of the rest are One True Stories.

At least burning heretics at the stake has gone out of fashion.

Oh -- Rev, my religious study did not include or even mention Aken Aten. Thanks for that, I'll have to follow up and do some reading. I get the feeling you've studied more comprehensively than I.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

The Devil is often called Lucifer after the Catholic church after a religious group called the Luciferianists that they didn't like. Luciferianism is the belief that there was a being known as Lucifer who wasn't like God, but more like a guideline to follow. Luciferanism does not support violence, amoral acts, and believes in equality, progressive views, and many other rather complex ideologies. They also believe that Lucifer was expelled from heaven because he was an advocate of free will,which completely goes against your beliefs that your belief is "free will".
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

I have perhaps studied a wider range of religion yet not as in depth into many of them. And digger, you still haven't explained what being saved from sin is. Or what sin is in the first place. And eternal life in heaven? There's no basis for this in the bible, it's just tradition. Like satan in the garden, that was just a serpent there was never any mention of satan. Also revelations says only 144,000 people will be saved in the end, yet every christian thinks they're one of that tiny group. 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of isreal. Are you decended from jacob? Which tribe do you come from? Most likely if you're of european decent you aren't of any tribe of isreal. There are 7 billion people on the earth. And 2 billion of them are christians that think they qualify for one of the 144,000 slots available. And that's not even mentioning all the people who have already lived and died. If you aren't at a mother theresa level of goodness you're certainly not going to qualify. But a huge problem is that the bible is not one book, it's a collection of 66 books written by many different authors. They are often in conflict. They only books a christian should be reading are the gospels. But even those disagree with each other. And the rebellion of satan happens in the book of revelations, which is to say unless those things have already come to pass, satan is still in heaven doing the job he was assigned to do. Further more, if satan and his following angels believed they had the ability to overthrow god, it would have to be assumed that these guys are of equal power. That is, they are both the same species of creature. Christian mythology sounds a lot like a group of alien beings. If your god was they most powerful thing in the universe there wouldn't be any one that thinks he could be overthrown. And the fact that 'he' has gender only serves to further prove that he is a life form and not a spiritual entity. Why would a spiritual entity need sex organs? In short the bible can't be 100% true because it contradicts its self. And if it's not 100% true then how is some one supposed to know which parts to believe? Tell me to read the bible, i've read it, it's mostly dumb.
Mr_Hole_Digger1
in diamond armor

Post by Mr_Hole_Digger1 »

Ok, these sound like Catholic teachings Rev. They changed what the Bibles says and made it corrupt. God said in the Bible not to change or alter the Word of God.

Being saved from sin is having eternal life in heaven with God in a perfect world :) There's no limit to the number of people that can be saved this is what Christianity teaches, why would a loving God do such a thing?

Satan or, the devil has been thrown out of heaven, He's rampant in the world screwing things up with his demon army.

God doesn't have a gender, the word 'He' is used because God is our father, a loving caretaker and a mentor. Father meaning one who exercises paternal care over other persons; paternal protector or provider, not like a parent.

God has infinite power, no one can overthrow him.
RevStoningpot
Moron

Post by RevStoningpot »

This happens in the book of revelations witch, as i understand, is something that is to happen in the future. So either the events of that book have already come to pass and satan dwells in hell or the events are yet to come and satan dwells in heaven.

7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels must make war with the dragon. And the dragon made war, and his angels also, 8 and he was not strong enough, neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was thrown out, that ancient serpent, which is called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world, he was thrown to the earth, and his angels thrown along with him.

Specifically the 144,000 are those saved from the destruction of the word. Traditionally it's believed that that means they are the only souls worthy of the kingdom of god

1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four points of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, so that no wind would blow upon the earth, or upon the sea or upon any tree. 2 And I saw another angel coming down from the east, holding the seal of the living God, and he cried out in a very great voice toward the four angels to whom the orders had been given to harm the earth and the sea, 3 saying, "Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees until we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads." 4 And I heard the number of the ones sealed, 144,000, sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel: 5 from the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, from the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6 from the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, from the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, from the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7 from the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, from the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, from the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8 from the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, from the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

But how can you be so sure that god can't be overthrown when a hoard of angels all thought otherwise?

As far as i know the catholics are the one's who made the bible. I've never heard of prodistants having a different bible, but if they did it would have to be because they changed it from the catholic version. Since whatever the catholics didn't like was utterly destroyed. By the way, in what book was it said don't change the bible? I know your right that it's there but i can't recall where.