New admins & other help

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
Yukar9
Admin

New admins & other help

Post by Yukar9 »

We haven't recruited a new admin since MisterStrawman, and recently as the other admins have been increasingly busy, I've become overwhelmed myself, and am looking for more help (not limited to admin.) Usually this has been a closed process, but I think we could try doing it openly this time.

We are currently looking for people to help with, well anything related to running the server, which could include:
  • Being admin (banning people, etc)
    Helping write bukkit plugins
    Helping keep our horribly outdated website up to date
    Helping with advertising (keeping the server lists posts updated, creating new banners, NOT spamming)
The way I figure we can do this is by simple discussion. People who think they can help out can post saying so, with reasons/relative experience, and the rest of the community can discuss them. I personally refuse to do votes on this, this should be by consensus, any candidate without near-unanimous approval really wouldn't be suited for moderating the community.

The first one (admin,) should be reserved for mature people who have been on this server for a while (Read: several months at least.) Although adults are clearly preferred, I don't think we should hold someone's age against them as long as they're mature.

The other 3 really won't need that strict requirements, as their work will be reviewed before being implemented anyway.

Finally, to clarify: This is not an application thread. People new to this server who think they can apply for admin, don't.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Re: New admins & other help

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

I'd Apply for being an admin, but given things like, Reputation, lack of me actually playing minecraft anymore, and having to keep a Garry's Mod build server under control, I don't think it's a viable option.
Other than that, nope.mpg.
DeftPaw
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by DeftPaw »

I'm not really busy and I'd like to help the server out. I don't play on here 24/7 but I do come online from time to time . Though when it comes to scripts I'm not experienced at all. I can see myself advertising and keeping the server lists updated, banning spammers and hackers.
Last edited by DeftPaw on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultra
still building aboveground

Post by Ultra »

I think any new mod would have to be someone who's around to cover the gaps when you and mitte aren't on. Right now spammers and hackers operate with impunity for hours, and it makes the server look very bad. Spammers are especially troublesome because they're long gone by the time they're banned. I am often around then, and if that's all you need then I think I'd be a good candidate, but I don't have any programming skills.
el_andres96
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by el_andres96 »

I can't help with programming but I could really help in-game being an admin. I'm an active player in the server, though I won't be as active as always until the 19th, after that, I'll be active. I have some experience being an admin on others servers and would like help the server banning spammers that come on to advertise or so. Thanks.
hugobros3
in iron armor

Post by hugobros3 »

TL;DR version
Been here for more than a year, I'll be 17 in september. I live in Belgium and I speak french and have correct english skills.

I'm quite good at making plugins/mods, as with xHTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/JS. I can also make you neat trailers/banners.

For spammers, you should make an invisible grade who let thrusted players mute spammers or even kick/ban. I did than on my secondary server, very effective ( name them ChatCops or whatever xD )

Being an admin here would be a great honnor, but I'm not active enought so it's kinda useless. And I am already admin on 3 servers. ( 2 belong to me, the last one is Sphax's pureBDCraft official server )
But for everything related to technical stuff, I'm here :D
My experience at making plugins back two years ago, when I made a cuboid plugin because WorldGuard was too heavy ( or at least I thought so ).

Since then, I made those plugins ( and other uninteresting ones ) :
- XolioPlot : flatmap generator+plot gestion
- XolioHacks ( not related to nodus and shit ) : it contains a few specific features for my server, eg players list in a file and neat login/out messages
- ClearDropsPlus just /cd to get rid of those lag-makers dropped items
- XolioChestLog : pretty self-explaining
- XolioZPlugin : manage my secondary server : It reproduce DayZ : random spawn, multiserver hive with external DB, random spawn of loot, zombie spawn in day, and tweaked a lot, custom death messages, and others functions
- XolioAdventure ( indev ) : checks if using custom-launcher, it manages quests, competences, dungeons, and RPGesque stuff using plugin messages ( custom packets who won't crash vanilla client )

And for mods I made that :
- Obsidian stuff mod : smelt that obsidian and get neat purple stuff, not cheated to left diamond it's interest.
- Various fun/decorations blocks ( slime block, colored light blocks, wool steps/stairs, etc )
- Real NPCs ingame ( you can talk to them, they give you quest and stuff )
- Poney-mode : changing ingame colors to troll annoying kiddies ( not related to MLP, sorry lone :p ( Huricaaane already made a MLP mod, and a nice one ) )
- Updated water shader mod to 1.4 then 1.5.1, added an option to enable/disable ingame, and made modifications so it wouldn't crash intel-based GPUs ( dropped it in 1.5.2 to include Optifine and allow SEUS usage )
- Made an option to swich between old and current light-system colors.
- WIP : homemade vehicule mod ( not based on flan's at all ) : currently only one car and one helicopter the mod is able to load .obj UV-mapped models ( this means you can even import models from other games ! ). Currently physics sucks, so I'm working on ...
- WIP : updating phyzzle ( that beta 1.6.6 mod were you could blow shit up and it made physically accurate blocks debris ), so I can use JBullet to handle my vehicules physics ( and get the first really working vehicule mod in MineCraft, and accurate helicopter physics ! )
Wow, I'm realising that my list is freaking long. "CMB like Benzaie would say :p"

I'm also able to use an Unix system ( I am confortable with debian and derivated distribs ), to SSH into it, to use correctly users/chmod ( not making everything in root :p ), to record videos in HD ( even with shaders ! ), to edit a video and post it on youtube at a reasonnable speed ( 1.8Mb/s upload ), to make cool-looking banners and a lot of other stuff.

Note : All of those plugins/mods are made for my servers, if someone other than simpvp staff want them, please PM me. I won't give them to 13-years old / lame pvp-factions server, don't ask. Be serious or GTFO.
EggThief
in iron armor

Post by EggThief »

Just making it clear that I'd be willing to help, this is the only server I've played on regularly for the past 1-2 years. If I'm playing minecraft it's here. I've got no experience programming or anything like that, but as far as admin goes I've been here since 1.7.3, I'm 20, but maturity can be questionable. Keeping the website up to date and advertising are within my grasp as well
Location edit: US eastern standard time
Last edited by EggThief on Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
deflowvesper
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by deflowvesper »

I am willing to help, im always active in the server and frequently on chat whenever someone has a question regarding the server/game. Most of the players know me and i have a good reputation with poeple i know in the server. I am however dont want to be given the responsibility of writing bukkit plugins as i have limited experience with them, but on the other hand i am confident of looking after the website, helping with advertising and looking after the server for players who breaks rules.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I was kinda hoping there would be more discussion about this, rather than just people volunteering.
Ultra
still building aboveground

Post by Ultra »

Well whoever is chosen does need to cover times when Europeans are asleep at school or whatever, so whoever it is should probably be from America/Canada or Asia. There are no admins on the server for more than half the day and it can be very frustrating when someone spams with impunity.