Ban Nether Roof Travel

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

[OFFICIAL] Disallow going above the nether top?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 32

deflowvesper
hated the previously assigned rank

Re: Ban Nether Roof Travel

Post by deflowvesper »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:Its trash. The nether was supposed to allow quicker travel at the risk of getting your ass burnt when you played with the fire. Now your travel goes a solid 12x faster because you don't have to worry about any interruptions at all.
+ on this, and not to mention why we have so many unloaded chunks in-between the spawn and player's locations, its all becasue of this glitch.
el_andres96

Post by el_andres96 »

I don't think we should ban this. I know it is glitching through blocks. But, with the time it has become less of a glitch and more like a new way of transportation. And I think the developers themselves don't see it as a glitch, if not, it would have been fixed years ago. It's not something a new player can do, you need the resources to go to the nether and the resources to build the actual "machine" that will get you up there, so it takes time before someone can use the roof.

Using the Nether roof has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's advantage is that you go travel great distances in a short amount of time with out having to worry about being killed by another entity. The disadvantage is that you have more chances of being located because of your portal or any non-computer changes made near by. I think we should keep it as it is.
LGT
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by LGT »

If someone could come up with a good way to compensate players that moved very far using the nether roof, then I might support this. We've had this 'feature' for a long time now and there have been dozens of bases that have been started using this way of traveling.
There are pros and cons, but I can't think of a good way to make this happen without screwing players over. Moving players closer in doesn't really work because of a few reasons:
1) Who decides where they are moved? Do players just get to explore and pick a more suitable spot for their new base? Or do admins choose for them and then they are stuck with whatever location admins choose? 2) To what extent is their base moved? Are all of the explored caves moved with them? 3) Who decides who is moved? There are tons of little bases that have been travelled to this way.
Just wanted to throw my opinion in here.
-Tropical
FoSchnizzleTheSecond

Post by FoSchnizzleTheSecond »

LGT = LetsGetTr0pical
KennyKatsu

Post by KennyKatsu »

el_andres96 wrote:I don't think we should ban this. I know it is glitching through blocks. But, with the time it has become less of a glitch and more like a new way of transportation. And I think the developers themselves don't see it as a glitch, if not, it would have been fixed years ago. It's not something a new player can do, you need the resources to go to the nether and the resources to build the actual "machine" that will get you up there, so it takes time before someone can use the roof.

Using the Nether roof has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's advantage is that you go travel great distances in a short amount of time with out having to worry about being killed by another entity. The disadvantage is that you have more chances of being located because of your portal or any non-computer changes made near by. I think we should keep it as it is.
Remember ender pearls? They damn sure fixed them. The machine is literally a piston, a rail and a minecart. That's 12 iron, 6 pieces of wood, a redstone dust and 3 cobblestone. And you can easily get rid of the traces implying there'd be any more traces than the portal which anyone afk walking won't notice.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

miniwimi wrote:Who the fuck are you?!
Just because someone doesn't have 3000 posts usually doesn't mean their opinion is invalid.
  • Ban Nether Roof Travel
    A stupid bug that has been exploited for far too long so people can see how high they can get their X Y coordinates.
  • Don't move bases that have already been made via the nether roof
    This is just dumb in itself, it's not worth the effort to move someone's base closer to spawn. Just let them be.
KennyKatsu

Post by KennyKatsu »

I have the same opinion as lone for this. This glitch has been exploited for long enough and the risk is none to zero compared to the benefit.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

Not to mention that having a nether gate found whilst nether roofing would be more difficult than in the nether itself. You'd either have to stumble across it or know where to look. In the nether you have to make sure people can't hear the gate, or find any paths.

And having bases moved should not be part of the discussion. Sorry fo, but the players will have trouble moving over to finding people anyhow. I say leave them "stranded"
FoSchnizzleTheSecond

Post by FoSchnizzleTheSecond »

Fair enough, I just thought that it might be worth questioning. In any case, remove the roof travel.
KennyKatsu

Post by KennyKatsu »

Now what we need is Yukar's approval and a solution.