Moving the spawn

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Mattias480
still building aboveground

Moving the spawn

Post by Mattias480 »

Move spawn into other coordinates, so people wont quit because of lag around 0,0. Players can always travel back and see the old spawn area. As far as i know, that lag is caused because of that terrain. So what do you think and is it possible to have a vote on this?
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Re: Moving the spawn

Post by A. Pippenger »

I am in favor of this. Spawn is one of the main reasons we have so few players. The server feels dead lately, like an old historical monument. Nobody who comes here feels very excited to play. I think spawning in fresher terrain would give noobs a different attitude. It's not some crumbling server where you don't get any respect if you haven't played here for years, it's a new place for you to build what you want.

Most people are opposed to a spawn reset, and I am one of them. The history of the server has a place, and I don't want to remove it. But moving spawn is not the same as resetting it. We can keep all the old history this way, while also allowing new events to happen. I'd vote for this.

EDIT: Changed the first sentence of second paragraph for clarity
deflowvesper
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by deflowvesper »

The way i see it is; We could do a clean up, remove all small unnecessary blocks above ground which maybe causing the lag. Alternatively moving spawn is another option, but moving it means spawn will not be at 0,0 anymore which ruins the purpose of the whole thing. Spawn has always been at 0,0 and it just feels wrong to have spawn on a different coordinates.

Im a bit lost about this suggestion, more discussion would help.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Clean it up, but don't regenerate the terrain. No trees or any of that shit.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

Another possibility FoSchnizzle suggested yesterday would be to move the current spawn terrain to preserve it, just for old time's sake, and make a new, fresh spawn at 0,0. That would avoid moving the spawn coordinates while giving us a new spawn and preserving the old cobble spawnhell if players want to visit it.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I kinda like Fo's idea, but I have two issues with it. First, the borders are going to look strange in the areas where you change the land. Second, if you're picking up spawn and putting it somewhere else, aren't you sort of replacing a big chunk of land?

How big of an area around spawn would be copied? Maybe 300 each direction, or 500? It could erase more than a thousand square meters of the server that way, where there might be bases, interesting terrain, or just familiar areas that we don't want removed. I'd hate to go back to an old castle of mine and find it replaced by a giant ugly wasteland.

Fo's whole idea just has a lot of logistical issues that Matt's doesn't. I think it's worth considering, but I still prefer Matt's.

As for Lone's suggestion of cleaning up spawn slightly to reduce lag, I think that's sensible. Maybe we should try smaller stuff before doing anything drastic. Is anyone really opposed to removing floating junk form the sky?
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I don't think moving the spawn is really that good a solution. Having spawn at 0,0 is a good central point, and you would have to move it far away to get to any kind of decent starting locations. People who complain about spawn being damaged/laggy wouldn't stick around either way.

That being said, it is very feasible and wouldn't be hard to actually do.

I would probably be more open to moving first-time spawning to the pvp world, or having randomized first-time spawning.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I think spawning in pvp world would confuse people. I didn't really understand it until I'd been here a month or two, and it's the most un-vanilla thing about the server.

Random spawning is an interesting idea though. What area would they spawn in, and how far at maximum would it be from 0,0?
Mattias480
still building aboveground

Post by Mattias480 »

I would give a vote for randomized spawning. What do other regulars think? (Xestia, FoSchnizzle, miniwimi, elocphant, JezdziecBezNicka, Brntrogdor,IMMERONE,..) sorry if i missed someone.
EggThief
in iron armor

Post by EggThief »

I don't think moving spawn would be good. It's easy for new players or anyone else to get to spawn if its at the standard 0,0 coordinates. I agree it turns people away but if we move it to another location it will eventually be a wasteland like it is now. Not to mention displacing what is already there. The first time spawn being randomized I think would be a good because people are likely going to be in a place that's not too destroyed and maybe get to see some ruins or buildings. That way the idiots realize the whole server is as trashed as spawn. I'm always for resetting the immediate spawn area a few hundred blocks or cleaning it up, that area is so dynamic anyway that I don't think anyone is very attached to it. Another idea could be to have a really cool build at spawn, so new players see something nice at before the wasteland, hopefully indicating that there is more to simpvp than wasteland. Also I think a few signs should be put up at spawn explaining that once you go out a few hundred blocks to 1k it is no longer barren and that people do actually build here just out of plain sight, hidden from would be griefers.