Minecraft 1.8 Update Discussion

General minecraft related topics
Cinnabars
[rawr]

Minecraft 1.8 Update Discussion

Post by Cinnabars »

This thread can be for discussing any of the changes that will be happening in the 1.8 update.

The change to iron golems has been making me mad ever since I heard about it. As far as I know, golems will no longer drop iron unless killed by a player. This means that all of these beautiful, automated farms that people have built will now only be partially automatic. You will have to collect all of your golems until you are ready to kill them which will destroy one of the best aspects of current iron farms: zero server lag (if built correctly).

Have you heard any good reasons why this is being done?

I also heard a rumor that this change was reversed because there were so many complaints. I don't think this is true, but please let me know if it was because it would make my day.

There is a ton that will be added in 1.8.
What features are you looking forward to, and which features are you particularly dreading?
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Re: Minecraft 1.8 Update Discussion

Post by A. Pippenger »

I am excited for the ocean additions, all the new types of stone, and slime blocks. I am not happy that enchanting will require lapis, and I am confused and anxious about the new book copying system. I am not completely clear on how it works, but it seems like it might limit the total amount of times a book can be copied.

I am also a bit worried about flying machines. If they actually work on this server, they will make it much easier to find bases, and I don't want to get griefed.

Those are my main thoughts on 1.8.

EDIT: Oh, I remember seeing something before about there being name changes. I really hope that either that gets left out, or the mods are finding some way around that ruining this server. Name changes would mean we basically can't get any new players, cause anyone could be a griefing alt.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

yeah i see no point to name changing. and what's going on with enchanting? I'd like to play with a flying machine. The iron thing sounds way gay. Other than that i haven't heard of anything not mentioned here.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

I'm pretty sure that iron golems will drop iron automatically again, although i may be wrong.

About the flying machines, how would they make finding your base easier? They would certainly not allow faster traveling than you would do on foot, and if you afk and pass a base, how would you ever know?

The new stones are just ugly, all of them, in all of their forms.

About the enchanting changes, i honestly don't think it will make things worse, but it will propably not get much better either.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Cinnabars wrote:This thread can be for discussing any of the changes that will be happening in the 1.8 update.

The change to iron golems has been making me mad ever since I heard about it. As far as I know, golems will no longer drop iron unless killed by a player. This means that all of these beautiful, automated farms that people have built will now only be partially automatic. You will have to collect all of your golems until you are ready to kill them which will destroy one of the best aspects of current iron farms: zero server lag (if built correctly).

I also heard a rumor that this change was reversed because there were so many complaints. I don't think this is true, but please let me know if it was because it would make my day.

What features are you looking forward to, and which features are you particularly dreading?
dear god they're going to make iron actually valuable again
not my infinite iron farm please anything but that

Can you not see how fucking gamebreaking those things are? Seriously. Seriously guys. Seriously. Stop.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

A. Pippenger wrote:I am excited for the ocean additions, all the new types of stone, and slime blocks. I am not happy that enchanting will require lapis, and I am confused and anxious about the new book copying system. I am not completely clear on how it works, but it seems like it might limit the total amount of times a book can be copied.

I am also a bit worried about flying machines. If they actually work on this server, they will make it much easier to find bases, and I don't want to get griefed.

Those are my main thoughts on 1.8.

EDIT: Oh, I remember seeing something before about there being name changes. I really hope that either that gets left out, or the mods are finding some way around that ruining this server. Name changes would mean we basically can't get any new players, cause anyone could be a griefing alt.
Flying machines aren't going to be any different then someone setting their minecraft on a bot that just walks in a singular direction, you iddjit.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Wow, a ton of people disagreeing with me about the flying machine thing.

I just think it will mean more people doing long distance travel in the overworld instead of the nether, meaning any aboveground bases are potentially visible. They will also be high up, giving them a wide field of vision. I guess if they're afk for most of it they won't notice if they fly over a base, but often when I'm afk I am still technically at the computer, just not fully focusing on minecraft. They might be reading reddit, glance over at the game and say "oh what's that city I can see over on the corner of the screen?", pause the flying machine, and go grief someone's base.

I'm not claiming I know exactly what effect they'll have, I'm just worried about the possibility.
Cinnabars
[rawr]

Post by Cinnabars »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:
Cinnabars wrote:This thread can be for discussing any of the changes that will be happening in the 1.8 update.

dear god they're going to make iron actually valuable again
not my infinite iron farm please anything but that

Can you not see how fucking gamebreaking those things are? Seriously. Seriously guys. Seriously. Stop.

What you said would be valid except for the fact that they aren't removing iron farms. People can still afk just the same way they always have. The difference is that now you will have to manually kill the golems So instead of the systems being really lag friendly(as they are now), they are being turned into just another farm that people can fuck the server with. Nothing else changes.

EDIT:
DakkaDok wrote:I'm pretty sure that iron golems will drop iron automatically again, although i may be wrong.
I really hope you are right. I heard that it had been reversed but it wasn't a reliable source so who knows. I'm crossing my fingers.
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

It's mainly the name change thing that makes 1.8 a no-play for me. But I've ranted enough about that in another thread.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

It changes it from "I have two double chests of iron blocks to trade" to "oh geeze I only have ten stacks of iron blocks to trade damn those devs"