Our server rank sucks

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Yukar9
Admin

Our server rank sucks

Post by Yukar9 »

Honestly, I don't think many of us here vote. Hell, I rarely vote, it just seems pointless and I often forget. Because of this, we're pretty low ranked on most server lists.

I was thinking, how do other servers solve this problem? They have rewards, like 1 diamond for voting or whatever. Obviously something like that would never be implemented here, but can't we think of any other possible rewards for voting? Well, I was thinking, how about we award points for voting? Say, you get 1 point for each day you vote on all the server lists. These points do absolutely nothing, but other people can see how many points you have, so you can try to gain points and outrank other players.

What do you think? Would getting such points be worthwhile? Would any of you bother competing over having the most points?

We could possibly have it display your points every time you chat, so it would be like [18]<Yukarion> I have 18 points.

but I don't know if that'd ruin the vanilla aesthetic too much.
Melvin3000
still building aboveground

Re: Our server rank sucks

Post by Melvin3000 »

Maybe every x amount of points gives you another life to use in the deathban world?
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I don't like the idea of points showing up in chat. It sounds like it would clutter things up, confuse people, and add too much of a weird social ranking system- all things I came to this server to avoid.

I'd be ok with something like a /points command that shows you the top 5 people and their scores though. I think this is a decent idea but it would have to be implemented in a subtle way. I just really hate in-your-face nonvanilla stuff.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

What would the opinion on a global "lysergidi has just gained 1 point! You can too do by doing /vote" message be?
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I still wouldn't like that I think. Servers that do that just have a certain cheap feeling to them.

I guess I just feel like chat space is a fundamental part of the server and preserving its quality is essential to keeping the server pleasant to play on. Some days when I'm not really building or doing anything, chat essentially IS the server, because all I do is talk to people. I can usually judge how long I'll stay on a server by the amount of random announcements and weird multicolored text I see when I play there. If it's a place where I feel like I can't talk to people I don't want to stick around, and this is a step in that direction.

(My opinion is of course liable to change if other people get mad at me for saying this. Don't bother to explain why I'm wrong just call me a shithead or something and I'll get the message.)
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

Yukar9 wrote:Honestly, I don't think many of us here vote. Hell, I rarely vote, it just seems pointless and I often forget. Because of this, we're pretty low ranked on most server lists.

I was thinking, how do other servers solve this problem? They have rewards, like 1 diamond for voting or whatever. Obviously something like that would never be implemented here, but can't we think of any other possible rewards for voting? Well, I was thinking, how about we award points for voting? Say, you get 1 point for each day you vote on all the server lists. These points do absolutely nothing, but other people can see how many points you have, so you can try to gain points and outrank other players.

What do you think? Would getting such points be worthwhile? Would any of you bother competing over having the most points?

We could possibly have it display your points every time you chat, so it would be like [18]<Yukarion> I have 18 points.

but I don't know if that'd ruin the vanilla aesthetic too much.
servers that get votes are servers that start their voting by either illegitimate votes or the servers who give out retarded pay2win rewards to kick start it.
After that they keep their position by giving out hurr free diamond to anyone that votes.

are you really going to start giving the "I will pay people to vote my server to the top" vibe out
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:are you really going to start giving the "I will pay people to vote my server to the top" vibe out
That's exactly what we're not going to do, but we still want votes. Did you read my entire post?
deflowvesper
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by deflowvesper »

Yukar9 wrote:
LoneSoldier55 wrote:are you really going to start giving the "I will pay people to vote my server to the top" vibe out
That's exactly what we're not going to do, but we still want votes. Did you read my entire post?
I dont think he read your post. Anyway, the rank "[points]playername" i think players would not be encouraged enough to vote just to get a number before their names but i think having a rank would be more effective, let say 50 points = [Wood], 100 = [Iron], 500 = Gold [Gold] and so on. However having said all this, this definitely wouldn't feel vanilla anymore either way you put it.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Lone does tend to not read other people's posts, but he didn't actually say anyone here wanted to give diamonds out for voting. He said we'd give off that general vibe, which I think is true.
deflowvesper
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by deflowvesper »

Lets get back to the topic and discuss what would make players start voting for the server once again without having to give out items.