Summer Population Increase

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Summer Population Increase

Post by A. Pippenger »

I haven't been able to play still, but I've been watching our server stats on mcservers.org and I wanted to make a thread to discuss our current somewhat high population and how we can keep it during the schoolyear.

It's very common on the forums to complain about the server being entirely dead. This became especially popular around fall/winter last year when we would be at 0-2 players for weeks straight. It seems like a lot of people decided to quit around that time because they assumed the server had been completely deserted, but this isn't actually accurate.

If you look at the hourly player stats on mcservers.org, it shows that our daily peak is around eleven players, and that we don't hit zero frequently. It seems to be a good mix of old timers like Infamous and LegendaryArtz playing, some newer regulars like ae0, and a lot of very new but consistent names as well. We are still below the all time peak of 20-30 at once, but we're showing signs of being a healthy, albeit small, server.

Obviously the relatively high population won't last into the schoolyear, so I think it is worth putting in some effort to get new players to stay here long term. If anyone is looking to make new long term team members, this is probably the best time to go out and meet people. It is also a good time to do noob charity work at spawn if you enjoy that, or to post pics of your base, publish books, etc.

If anyone has any ideas on how to hold onto new players, please discuss them here. Also, any news from anyone currently on the server would be appreciated, so that me and the other forum rats can get a better idea of what's going on. Population stats can be seen on this website:

http://minecraftservers.org/server/16106
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Summer Population Increase

Post by Yukar9 »

No doubt it's always good to be nice to the noobs around summer.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

the times the server doesn't hit zero are just people standing at a grinder, effectively placing the server at zero players
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

LoneSoldier55 wrote:the times the server doesn't hit zero are just people standing at a grinder, effectively placing the server at zero players

Yeah I'm sure when there's 6 noobs on they're all at their giant mob grinders.
Mattias480
still building aboveground

Post by Mattias480 »

How to hold to new players.. If i were a new player..?
Well.. i've never liked charity stuff. When i started, i tried to survive by myself. Since isn't it a survival server? If i were a new player, i wouldn't like when someone throws a stack of food and armor etc at me at the start.. I understand ppl being helpful and kind, but that just kills the "appetite"? to play on this server.. Also some like to boast with their riches and the stuff they have in chat, thats another "killer".. Best thing to offer would be invitation to play with other players, Tamarisk is a good example for that. And of course thers one more useful thing, such as voting. If there are more ppl online, ppl keep coming back. Votes help to climb in ranks, and the higher placing we are, the more ppl we have. in one list we are at 50-60th rank.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Mattias480 wrote:How to hold to new players.. If i were a new player..?
Well.. i've never liked charity stuff. When i started, i tried to survive by myself. Since isn't it a survival server? If i were a new player, i wouldn't like when someone throws a stack of food and armor etc at me at the start.. I understand ppl being helpful and kind, but that just kills the "appetite"? to play on this server.. Also some like to boast with their riches and the stuff they have in chat, thats another "killer".. Best thing to offer would be invitation to play with other players, Tamarisk is a good example for that. And of course thers one more useful thing, such as voting. If there are more ppl online, ppl keep coming back. Votes help to climb in ranks, and the higher placing we are, the more ppl we have. in one list we are at 50-60th rank.
Yeah, too much charity is off putting to new players. Better to either team with them as equals or just give them some space. It seems to make them feel smothered and bored if you give them too much free stuff.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

so what i'm getting here is "give everyone free stuff" but "don't give everyone free stuff" but "there aren't actually times when the server is at zero" but "give everyone free stuff"
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Give free stuff, but not too much and not in an overly condescending way.
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

When I first joined the server Assas killed me around a dozen times while I was trying to escape spawn. Or I'd run out of food and die because I had to run away from him instead of walking out. It was a hoot.

So once I'm playing again, I will help noobs by chasing them down and killing them.
SirTashingdon
[rawr]

Post by SirTashingdon »

What I think would be useful is a safe location with multiple amenities that noobs can use as a base to explore from, a 'noobville'. This location would be safe from griefers, but not overly exciting, and it wouldn't have advanced facilities, like anvils and brewing stands. There would be a dormitory with beds, where noobs could sleep, so they wouldn't have to go back to spawn. This would give them a head start, without being condescending, as they would have to gather their own harvest, etc. Basicaly, a small city or town not far from spawn that would allow noobs to simply survive. They could set off from here to found their own bases, or join other groups, perhaps there would be a notice board advertising for different factions/groups. I think this would give them a chance, without being patronising or making them feel like they're being given pity, and brings them together to help them survive. We could use the new portal mechanic to connect this place to spawn, with signs explaining their use