A good way to get votes, albeit a little bit annoying?

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
OdinFire
still building aboveground

A good way to get votes, albeit a little bit annoying?

Post by OdinFire »

What if certain little fun things that didn't really affect gameplay so much were only unlocked for the days when you voted?

For example, a /parkour, a /arena, ect?

I wouldn't mind this being implemented but I know other people will probably so I"m just putting this out as an idea.

P.S. Here's a controversial little thing:

What if /world were locked to people only unless they had voted for the day?
Capnruch
[rawr]

Re: A good way to get votes, albeit a little bit annoying?

Post by Capnruch »

Hey, not a bad way to get votes. I can dig it.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I definitely wouldn't want /world to be off limits to non voters. Depriving people of core parts of the server unless they vote is pretty much the minecraft version of extortion.

If it was something totally unconnected to the main survival server that would be alright. It still leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but but I'd be ok with it if it got majority support. And it's obvious we need more votes.

The question is, what kind of reward would make people vote on a daily or even weekly basis? I could see myself getting bored with a parkour after one day.
Melvin3000

Post by Melvin3000 »

Maybe if we decide voting for /world is too extreme then just have a reminder that pops up asking players to vote when using the command? I forget to do it almost always and an unobtrusive addition to the already existing message could be enough to remind people.
OdinFire

Post by OdinFire »

Most people don't care about voting unless it actually affects them. That unobtrusive message would be quickly forgotten about.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

Melvin3000 wrote:Maybe if we decide voting for /world is too extreme then just have a reminder that pops up asking players to vote when using the command? I forget to do it almost always and an unobtrusive addition to the already existing message could be enough to remind people.

I like this idea.

No, I do not think everyone would vote every time they saw it. Not even close.

But it will inform people who have never voted that they can, and occasionally remind lazy people to vote. If there's no reminder at all, and nobody mentions it in chat, you can go weeks without even remembering that you're supposed to vote. I understand a lot of people suffer from the "all or nothing" fallacy and won't like this idea because the results will be modest. But even modest results help, and I think it would be unobtrusive and uncontroversial. Why not?
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

people need motivation or an immediate incentive to vote
long-term maybes like "but it totally helps the server!!" do not work, they do not provide an immediate or noticeable effect

extortion has always been part of minecraft, albeit with scummier communities. nudging people to vote all the time doesn't do anything but make them know where to not look when they use /world

just put a periodic message in server chat every five or ten minutes as a reminder.
A. Pippenger
in diamond armor

Post by A. Pippenger »

I dunno about adding fully automatic spam, that sounds annoying as hell.

I like to think we're above spamming people and extortion. Yeah, other servers do it, but that doesn't mean we should.

An unobtrusive reminder with a very modest effect is much better in my opinion than an annoying one that gets more votes.

Not to mention Odin's original idea about adding some kind of parkour arena or something, I think that is actually a good middle ground that may be semi-effective without resorting to extortion or spam. If we can actually plan out something people won't get bored of, that is.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

People just need to start getting Yukbucks.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

A. Pippenger wrote:I dunno about adding fully automatic spam, that sounds annoying as hell.

I like to think we're above spamming people and extortion. Yeah, other servers do it, but that doesn't mean we should.

An unobtrusive reminder with a very modest effect is much better in my opinion than an annoying one that gets more votes.

Not to mention Odin's original idea about adding some kind of parkour arena or something, I think that is actually a good middle ground that may be semi-effective without resorting to extortion or spam. If we can actually plan out something people won't get bored of, that is.
A message every five to ten minutes about voting is spam?

How is that less annoying than getting a HEY REMEMBER ME, YEAH VOTE every time you use /world? Arguably that can happen more often than the five to ten minutes thing.
>holding back a parkour or arena isn't extortion
it's not part of the main server but it sure is something you're withholding in hopes of compensation, it's no different than not letting people leave spawn until they vote.
Also, you can turn off chat if a periodic server message really really tickles your OCD that much.