The Melon Farm

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
TheOnlySlash
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

The Melon Farm

Post by TheOnlySlash »

Can we have a poll on whether or not the server should keep the melon farm at spawn? i think most of the server is against it.
Azdin
still building aboveground

Re: The Melon Farm

Post by Azdin »

Since you guys slashed and burned everything around spawn I think you now made it more necessary
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Here's the deal, the melon farm is a problem because it takes choice away from the players. We cannot decide whether we want to help or harm new players, as the choice to give them food and assist them has been taken away from us.

I have literally been on servers tailored to little kids where getting started was harder than it is here.
MisterStrawman
Donator

Post by MisterStrawman »

Most of the new people who start these days are people who've been invited by a regular player who gives them an elytra plus gear to start off with (or Sellout, who does the same with random noobs). I certainly don't think having the melon farm there takes away the choice of whether to help or harm them in any significant sense. I also don't know of any little kid servers where getting started is harder, other than in the sense of knowing which kit you should buy, which tacky commands you need to learn, or /vote to enable /sethome, etc.
Having said that, escaping spawn was much harder when I started, and finding animals or trees was fairly tough within a couple thousand blocks of spawn. I wouldn't say the melon farm necessarily makes it all that much easier, but it does cater to the type of player that is unwilling or unable to go out and get food on their own, which is usually not the type of player who lasts very long here. That's not to say that a player who is capable of getting their own food wouldn't use the melon farm, but if it weren't there, they wouldn't need to. At this point, we have a steady enough influx of new players that I wouldn't mind having that slight filter for competency in survival minecraft.
I don't really lean strongly one way or the other on this, but had there actually been a poll for this thread, I'd vote against having the melon farm. Ultimately though, I don't think it makes a huge difference whether we have it or not.
On a slightly related note, there has been talk about rotating spawns. We used to do this fairly often. The spawn we use is definitely the best we've had, but it's getting pretty stale, it's been there for several years now, I'd be up for changing it, even if we use one of the old ones. The one RevStoningPot made with the maze underneath is a good one if we still have that somewhere.
DakkaDok
OP

Post by DakkaDok »

I think rotating spawns again would be the best solution to this. I'm in favour of doing that.
AtacFauxpas
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by AtacFauxpas »

Eliminating the protected area surrounding x0 z0 and reinstating vanilla spawning is the best way to uphold the integrity of the server. There should be an official vote to see what the community as a whole thinks of this issue.
talksalot011
[rawr]

Post by talksalot011 »

Kek just keep it.