Possible Base Restoration and New Plugin to Find Cheaters??

General simplicitypvp.net related topics
SkullerG
[rawr]

Possible Base Restoration and New Plugin to Find Cheaters??

Post by SkullerG »

Hello Everyone.

I am proposing this idea as a current to what is our normal on Sim PvP, and as an add-on to the already suggested idea..

As of current, there is No Policy to protect any base from xrayers outside of banning the person who has done the deed. The plugin that we currently use is called Logblock. I believe from what I know as an outsider and not really looking into the plugin, this plugin only shows who interacted with certain things, gone through portals, and mined blocks. With this, there is a plugin that I know can do this exact same thing but also have the possibility of restoring blocks destroyed by xrayers and illegal griefings. We all know what happened when the TnT was duped recently to blow up several historic bases, and that's where a policy to restore certain bases would come in hand. How I believe the policy should work goes as follows..

1. If a base is xrayed and blown up with duped TNT, depending on its value and activity, I think the base should be restored and the owners of the base should be given a certain amount of time to move the stuff along with this. Depending on the damage and how old the base is, this can go for items as well.

2. Bases that are active and have been xrayed to blow up tons of their items should be restored depending on the seriousness of the case. The plugin I will suggest can do this with ease. This can be combated from attempted dupers because the plugin can let you restore things seconds before the destruction has occurred.

3. With this being there should be a strict policy on restoring bases on certain scenarios. I feel as if this was in case it would lessen the annoyance job of an admin and need to hear with the bitching about it.

4. Sensitive Topic with base restorations (will not be offended if this is not a possibility, but always a suggestion). Worldediting bases into different locations depending on its compromizability. For say someone Xrays a major active base and dumps the coordinates in chat. This would be death-defying for the base owners to know their base coordinates are now public, and it takes one person to use them and say they found their base legitly and do harmful things. How I think this should work with world editing bases is, once the xrayer has leaked the coordinates, and if they blew up anything with illegally duped TNT or not (depending on the scenario and seriousness of items), the base should be restored and the members at the base should have a solid 72-hour window or such to take these said items and move them to a safe location. Once moved in order for their base to be changed they must go to a location that they have traveled to WITHOUT ADMIN INTERFERENCE to have the base pasted in. This would be under strict circumstances but I believe this would protect the integrity of many bases and preserve historic value rather than saying, oh your base was xrayed, sorry! Nothing we can do. Once a base was world edited into a new location, depending on the admins' stance would be next. The terrain could be reverted to its natural state, or the ruins could remain (not ideal).

The plugin I want to suggest is called Core Protect. What it does is it logs all blocks mined, interacted with, placed, etc. It also has chest restoration, block restoration, and much more throughout the Plugin. The plugin has been used by many big servers and personally from use (when I was an admin on a server that was high demand), it was basically my side-kick. I believe the plugin is Open Source so anyone with paranoia can scan the plugin for any backdoors, etc. Any suggestions, comments, or concerns regarding anything is welcome. This is an open-forum topic so feel free to leave feedback and ideas.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Possible Base Restoration and New Plugin to Find Cheaters??

Post by Yukar9 »

Thanks for writing this.

Logblock in theory does do the same things, but it's a very old plugin. The only real reason we're still using it is because we've had it for so many years, and that it still mostly works. The only things it doesn't do is properly restoring chests and similar items with additional block data. I personally have never bothered looking into other plugins, but we might switch and I appreciate the suggestion.

I get the logic behind worldediting bases to new coords, and it's definitely a problem that cheaters can easily leak coords to illegitimately found bases. I think it's a big step beyond simply reverting grief though. I think we should try having a basic restoration policy before we think about extending it to something like moving base coords.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

If there's a way for items to be included in restoration, great. I do think, however, that the policy hasn't been tested even a little bit yet.

Probably better to implement a barebones version of it, then expand the reach and scope of it as more admins are appointed to deal with the potential demand/more incidents occur and are scrutinized.

The fear is and always has been not that this can't be done, but that it will create an unnecessary amount of complaining from players who had bases destroyed legitimately and just want to complain about it.

World editing bases to new locations realistically shouldn't be necessary. Segoria's coordinates have been circulating throughout the community for over a year, and nobody visits them because it would be illegal to do so. It's not hard to purge coordinates from your memory.
SkullerG
[rawr]

Post by SkullerG »

Yukar9 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:29 am I get the logic behind worldediting bases to new coords, and it's definitely a problem that cheaters can easily leak coords to illegitimately found bases. I think it's a big step beyond simply reverting grief though. I think we should try having a basic restoration policy before we think about extending it to something like moving base coords.
Most definitely. If something were to come from this It would need to be very fine-line. I mentioned moving base coordinates needing to be player and admin related because varying the seriousness of the exposure, could just lead to long-term issues with admins combating who found bases legitly and who used the leak, hence why I said a player should need to travel to a new location without admin interference to have the base moved. Other than that, if a policy was to be put in place, things like that would need an extreme line and would need to be somewhere posted publically and written with detail.
SkullerG
[rawr]

Post by SkullerG »

KoriJenkins wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:34 am World editing bases to new locations realistically shouldn't be necessary. Segoria's coordinates have been circulating throughout the community for over a year, and nobody visits them because it would be illegal to do so. It's not hard to purge coordinates from your memory.
This is where an issue would come into play. Put Segoria's coordinates into the wrong hands, It takes one person to build up a credible reputation and go to the coordinates and claim they have followed a trail to lead to Segoria. How could you tell if the place was found legitly or they used the coordinates? Or say someone actually followed a trail and found the base, They could be banned for something that was completely unrelated to them finding the base. This is why I think depending on the seriousness of a leak the world edit policy should be necessary under strict circumstances.