Remove /world

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
Burger
in iron armor

Remove /world

Post by Burger »

It's one of the two game-changing plugins (the other being portals), and is pretty much unnecessary these days.

Since /world was added, we've got /portals and end gateways (added in 2015 and late 2016 respectively), which provide a fine alternative to a trading/pvp dimension. Portals and end gateways - which are very common - are used by basically everyone to get to spawn.

I imagine that end spawn would become the new trading/pvp area. Like /world, end gateways provide a safe one-way means of getting to the public trading/pvp area, and a safe one-way means back home.

This will also negate the /pvplist and /pvplist subscribe commands, which in my opinion are OP. It makes piracy or surprise attacks basically impossible as you can instantly leave as soon as someone joins. For a server named SimPVP, PVP is extremely rare and easy to avoid.

The only issues I can imagine are as follows
  1. It'll become harder for new players to trade for late-game items after a few hours of playtime - First of all, good. Second of all, people can travel from end spawn to overworld spawn with a portal, and trade there.
  2. End gateways are easily trapped - This is true, a simple TNT minecart trap will instantly kill anyone who enters a gateway, and the gateways would be easy to camp. Being able to predict where someone will appear in the trading/pvp area is obviously bad, hence why /world teleports you to a random location (and used to teleport you to a small pvp-free zone). The solution to this could be a plugin which teleports you to a random location on the main end island when you enter a gateway, rather than the same set location.
  3. You can easily escape without being 50 blocks away from an attacker - I guess this is true, maybe a pirate/scammer/pvper could cover the middle end portal with obsidian beforehand to make escape more difficult. This said, escaping /world is already incredibly easy by simply flying away and using a chorus fruit or enderpearl to get far away, so not much would change here.
  4. edit: End spawn wouldn't change every 2 months - This is a novelty we all like about /world, and it'd be a shame to see it go. Maybe end spawn could be changed every 2 months, or something.
Overall this'd make the server much more vanilla, more difficult, and more dangerous without skimping too heavily on the convenience of a trade world.
Last edited by Burger on Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sev2worlds
[rawr]

Re: Remove /world

Post by sev2worlds »

I agree with this, spawn should be more active and PvP is too easy to avoid. It would also help the economy and would also help stop the current uprising of random new players getting late game items after only 10 hours of playing. It would sure as hell feel more dangerous and it would be more difficult, and that's a good thing. Servers like this strive on those kinds of primal feelings and interactions, and /world essentially removes any kind of threat to trading... not only that but piracy and PvP in general is a lot harder too, its way too easy to escape. SimPvP is supposed to be hard, grueling, adrenaline pumping... world removes that entirely.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

I don't see the point in removing /world. This isn't a vanilla server and hasn't been one pretty much ever. There have always been features or plugins that dramatically changed how the game actually functions compared to vanilla Minecraft.

End Spawn is already used for trading because people want to avoid piracy in /world. Does that mean /world should be removed? No, because it was never a trade world, it's a PvP area and was added with the intent of being one. Players still fight there, as recently as last night.

Removing /world, which has existed for years with the intent of making the game more vanilla, but then adding a plugin that changes the mechanics of End Spawn, making the game less vanilla, seems pointless. You're just turning End Spawn into /world.

PvP is not gateway camping, which is all that would happen. Trading would be less common, not more. People would still easily run away.

You're essentially arguing that the /world command be removed and replaced with people using a /portal to an end gateway and jumping in. Realistically how is it any different from just having /world? Because people lose the option of /world for trading and everyone ends up in the same spot?

The more likely result will be even less trading than there already is. Everyone is rich, nobody needs to trade anymore for wealth, and people already shrug off trades if they'll be inconvenienced by them.

You're either gonna have gateway camping (not pvp) or people running just as often. Someone covers the end portal and I can't escape back to my base? I'll just leave the main island, fly 1000 blocks, e-chest my shit, and jump into the void. That's honestly easier than flying 50 blocks away from someone most of the time.
ostrich1414
Wiki Janitor

Post by ostrich1414 »

I'm just gonna copy-paste my argument on Discord here, with a few minor edits:

"I’m not ashamed to admit that my reasons for enjoying /world and wanting it to stay are purely selfish. It’s a major convenience to a lot of players, old and new, and frankly a large majority of the SimPvP base (including me) prefer unconventional conveniences like portals and /world in their day to day Sim lives. There’s always gonna be a few players who have a more hardcore approach to the game who enjoy a challenge, but I think most Sim players are content with how things are, which isn’t a bad thing.

Also I was gonna say what Dakka already beat me to, but a large portion of Sim players (again, myself included) don’t necessarily care about the pvp aspect. I like /world for catering to another aspect of the server, the community interaction. Just because 'PvP' was put in the name in 2011 doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be forced today when most players don’t fight."

In all honesty I'd prefer things just stay as they are. I don't see any real incentive to change them, I quite enjoy my current SimPvP experience. I think it's a small minority of more hardcore-type players seeking a more challenging playstyle, but most players, like me, are fine with a bit more comfort. After all, I could just play a single player vanilla world if I wanted true vanilla, or something like PvPLegacy if I really craved consistent pvp. But /world is a defining feature of Sim and its culture, and it's one of the many unique aspects I enjoy.

I wouldn't necessarily be enraged if /world was gone... but it would feel very empty and would remove a hallmark of the server that I enjoyed ever since 2013.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

KoriJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:59 pm I don't see the point in removing /world. This isn't a vanilla server and hasn't been one pretty much ever. There have always been features or plugins that dramatically changed how the game actually functions compared to vanilla Minecraft.

End Spawn is already used for trading because people want to avoid piracy in /world. Does that mean /world should be removed? No, because it was never a trade world, it's a PvP area and was added with the intent of being one. Players still fight there, as recently as last night.

Removing /world, which has existed for years with the intent of making the game more vanilla, but then adding a plugin that changes the mechanics of End Spawn, making the game less vanilla, seems pointless. You're just turning End Spawn into /world.

PvP is not gateway camping, which is all that would happen. Trading would be less common, not more. People would still easily run away.

You're essentially arguing that the /world command be removed and replaced with people using a /portal to an end gateway and jumping in. Realistically how is it any different from just having /world? Because people lose the option of /world for trading and everyone ends up in the same spot?

The more likely result will be even less trading than there already is. Everyone is rich, nobody needs to trade anymore for wealth, and people already shrug off trades if they'll be inconvenienced by them.

You're either gonna have gateway camping (not pvp) or people running just as often. Someone covers the end portal and I can't escape back to my base? I'll just leave the main island, fly 1000 blocks, e-chest my shit, and jump into the void. That's honestly easier than flying 50 blocks away from someone most of the time.
I know this isn't a vanilla server, but we shouldn't have unnecessary gamechanging plugins. /world was necessary before we got /portals and end gateways. But now there is a fine vanilla alternative. Another gamechanging plugin, like /portals, should stay as there is no vanilla alternative. If Mojang added some kind of teleportation block to Minecraft, I'd argue that portals should be removed too.

Gateway camping wouldn't be a thing if we added my proposed change. Obviously this very minor change is non-vanilla, but its far more vanilla than an entire extra dimension whose function can be easily replicated in vanilla.

Sure you could fly away from the main island, but the attacker will chase you and not give an opportunity to e-chest your stuff. Even so, its more far difficult to escape than just pearling and spamming /world.
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:37 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:59 pm I don't see the point in removing /world. This isn't a vanilla server and hasn't been one pretty much ever. There have always been features or plugins that dramatically changed how the game actually functions compared to vanilla Minecraft.

I know this isn't a vanilla server, but we shouldn't have unnecessary gamechanging plugins. /world was necessary before we got /portals and end gateways. But now there is a fine vanilla alternative. Another gamechanging plugin, like /portals, should stay as there is no vanilla alternative. If Mojang added some kind of teleportation block to Minecraft, I'd argue that portals should be removed too.

Gateway camping wouldn't be a thing if we added my proposed change. Obviously this very minor change is non-vanilla, but its far more vanilla than an entire extra dimension whose function can be easily replicated in vanilla.

Sure you could fly away from the main island, but the attacker will chase you and not give an opportunity to e-chest your stuff. Even so, its more far difficult to escape than just pearling and spamming /world.
How is flying in a straight line more difficult to escape? You can do the exact same thing with pearls in the End to get away from someone, but with even more ease because End Spawn has no border like /world does.
Burger
in iron armor

Post by Burger »

KoriJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 pm How is flying in a straight line more difficult to escape? You can do the exact same thing with pearls in the End to get away from someone, but with even more ease because End Spawn has no border like /world does.
I've not said it would or should be impossible to escape the end, just that it's a bit more difficult because there's no command to instantly teleport to safety. Sure you can pearl onto the ground, but your attacker can follow you while you'd normally teleport back home. I don't think /world's border stops people from flying away from an attacker.
cavehoe
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by cavehoe »

I completely agree with this, i see it as a better, and easier solution that could take effect a lot faster than any of the ideas proposed recently about changing how /portals function.
/world is very unnecessary and creates laziness and like Sengorn mentioned in discord “lack of immersion.”
Any new player can, in a few hours, create a /portal to overworld spawn and ive known 2 pretty new players that did that on their own without any help.
Overall this would sort out the incompetent people who depend on /world all the time to try going to spawn (safest route if you're just thinking about the anti-pvp plugin there), the end island, the nether, or some other meeting place decided upon.
I dont think escaping from somebody in this new proposed situation would be much more difficult.
Getting rid of /world would also make all these places slightly more active which i think is a good thing and i cant see any reasonable case for an old player to be against this idea outside of their own nostalgia of using /world
KoriJenkins
in iron armor

Post by KoriJenkins »

Burger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:32 pm
KoriJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 pm How is flying in a straight line more difficult to escape? You can do the exact same thing with pearls in the End to get away from someone, but with even more ease because End Spawn has no border like /world does.
I've not said it would or should be impossible to escape the end, just that it's a bit more difficult because there's no command to instantly teleport to safety. Sure you can pearl onto the ground, but your attacker can follow you while you'd normally teleport back home. I don't think /world's border stops people from flying away from an attacker.
Okay, so you want them to make it harder to escape in /world from pirates?

Great, double the distance between players needed to leave. Make it 100 blocks.

If something is broken, you don't remove the entire thing and give up on a server feature that has been around for literally years. It deserves a little more respect than "oh well, it's useless so we won't improve it, we'll just trash it"

I honestly think the biggest problem with /world recently is that nobody likes the boring bedrock map. Interesting environments, cities, castles, etc are better for it. You saw more player interaction in those maps than you do in this one.
TonTheKidRS
[rawr]

Post by TonTheKidRS »

Can someone summarize why this was brought up in the first place? I tend not to be super active on the main simpvp discord as it is kind of a lot to keep up with.