Map reset?

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Reset map when 1.8 releases?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 31

dpy
OP

Re: Map reset?

Post by dpy »

I heard that the new items won't be accessible in old worlds, so if that's the case then a map reset would be a pretty good idea.
As much as I will miss my huge castle and other stuff I've put many hours into, I think moving (any) stuff over sets a precedent that you probably won't want.

If you had a good way to verify people's claims of how many diamonds/etc they had then I guess handing them out post-reset would be OK. I'm not totally opposed to the idea of a total reset without any spawned items though, it would add a new element of challenge/freshness to the game at least initially (it's been a long time since I've had to start with absolutely nothing and build from there), which I think is kind of the idea behind 1.8 as a whole.
SilasOfBorg
Donator

Post by SilasOfBorg »

If people want it, I guess. I've put a lot of hours into my builds, but no more than some others I imagine. It is a beta, after all, and if we get some neat stuff happening it might be worth it for me.. I'll miss the post-apocalyptic feel of the area surrounding spawn, and finding all those old buildings and crap is really neat.
Box
in iron armor

Post by Box »

We will loose days of work on cakes fantastic towers, his fortress and our city that has just started to shape up. - But, I am up for a complete reset without buildings and inventories. As DP says, 1.8 will give us an excuse for a second try at a fresh start.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

So, if a reset takes place, you all don't even want inventories moved over?
CaptainKirov
OP

Post by CaptainKirov »

No, please not.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

NO NO NO FUCK NO! If you reset the server i'm so done with it I've put way to much work into all my shit here. The only reason i settled down at this server was cuz it doesn't get reset. I'll never return if all my hard work is erased just cuz a bunch of worthless spawn rats don't like that the hub of the map is blown up "oh waaa there's no trees reset the map waaa waaaa!" Fuck that. At least wait untill the whole game is finished don't just reset for an update. I would think all servers will need to be reset with the finnal game. And as for inventory saving. that's no good if all my good shit is at home and i just have an inventory full of cobble. so again i submit NO NO NO FUCK NO!
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

True, we might also be forced to reset the map when the game is released. What makes me dislike this idea the most is the lost of the 'safety' not having to worry about map resets brings. When I say moving inventories over, I really mean moving everything you own over.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Actually I was just thinking, what about turning the current world into a freebuild server?
Stonards
[rawr]

Post by Stonards »

The Nether is a mess, there are stray portals everywhere, and things are generally destroyed; that's why I like this server. Though, a map reset is probably for the best, but it would deter me from playing at all from now until then because I do not want to put weeks of effort into something that will vanish instantly one night. But at the same time, with the new map generation, it could indeed be a good thing. It could also help remove hacked/illegally obtained items from the game because we didn't have an item wipe when the anti-xray was implemented.

RevStoningpot wrote:NO NO NO FUCK NO! If you reset the server i'm so done with it I've put way to much work into all my shit here. The only reason i settled down at this server was cuz it doesn't get reset. I'll never return if all my hard work is erased just cuz a bunch of worthless spawn rats don't like that the hub of the map is blown up "oh waaa there's no trees reset the map waaa waaaa!" Fuck that. At least wait untill the whole game is finished don't just reset for an update. I would think all servers will need to be reset with the finnal game. And as for inventory saving. that's no good if all my good shit is at home and i just have an inventory full of cobble. so again i submit NO NO NO FUCK NO!
This is the prime example as to why a lot of servers die. When things get reset, people rage and leave the server and it just dies out of no-where. It's sort of risky.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Sadly that's true Stonards, whether it's politics or minecraft, it's impossible to satisfy everybody. Which is why the majority will get it's way, to satisfy as many people as possible. I really like the current destroyed map as well, but if we can destroy one map, I'm pretty sure we can destroy another. Hell, I might even hand out tnt at spawn to get the process started :P

Added new poll, link: http://simplicitypvp.net/forum/1/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45