Map reset?

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

Reset map when 1.8 releases?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 31

Yukar9
Admin

Map reset?

Post by Yukar9 »

Resetting the map is probably what I get asked to do the most, every day there are at least a couple people that ask when I'm going to reset the map. My personal policy has always been that the map shouldn't be reset, but since this is obviously something a lot of people want, I'm starting a thread to give everybody a chance to say their opinion on it. Especially since the 1.8 update is right on the doorstep, large changes to the terrain generation will take place. Making this the perfect time to discuss this.

I want to stay neutral on this, don't consider this an announcement of a map reset, I just want to hear what everybody's opinion is on this.

Please also vote on second poll: http://simplicitypvp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45
Box
in iron armor

Re: Map reset?

Post by Box »

The whole point of your server for me has been that the map never has been reset, but watching the .8 trailer has put it in another light. Even though I will loose my work, and my valuables, I vote for a reset when the new updates comes out, though drastic.
dpy
OP

Post by dpy »

Yeah, I would vote for a reset. Have you considered resetting the map but not inventories? Gives users the chance to hold onto the most important of their hard-earned valuables.

edit: actually maybe that's a terrible idea; a bunch of users with inventories full of diamond all spawning back at 0,0 would probably not end well for all involved...
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Actually that was what I was thinking dpylz, let people keep all their stuff, but lose what they've built. But as I'd have to manually move the stuff between the worlds, it wouldn't be 50 people spawning with half their inventory diamond, I would be handing it all out one by one, after people have settled down.

Seeing as there is no opposition to this, I'm starting a vote. The majority by the release of 1.8, gets their way.
maxisl
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by maxisl »

Hmm.. It sounds drastic, but change is aways good.. I opposed the idea originally, but sure, reset it :]
jalygtra
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by jalygtra »

Unless the 1.8 requires that the map gets reset to get the new features, I vote no.
There is no need to create a new map when people can just travel 10k~ blocks out and get the new map generation anyway.
Stidyr
[rawr]

Post by Stidyr »

In minecraft, any new feature (with the exception of mobs I think) can't occur on already generated chunks.

That means that in a 15 - 20k radius from spawn there will be no ravines, strongholds, NPC villages or new bioms :P
Which kinda sucks, so I vote yes.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Well a reset will be required for the new parts of the terrain generation, that is, mountains, rivers, larger biomes, ravines, mineshafts, and potentially NPC towns (NPC towns may not require a map reset, notch hasn't really explained how they work yet)

A reset wouldn't be required for the new combat system, new mobs, etc.

But a reset would also add trees to the entire area, couple that up with livingforest, and we'll never have to listen to "omg where r all the triis???? dis is such a nub survur im leving" again.

Of course the downside is all the work that's lost, I mean I've put a lot of hours of work into all my stuff, and it'd suck having to see it all just disappear. It would be possible to move some of the larger structures over, but I couldn't possibly move every 4x4 shack over.
Stidyr
[rawr]

Post by Stidyr »

Sorry, my bad, I didn't take in consideration the new combat system. Hate enemy mobs anyways, they always be creepin' up my castle -.-
CaptainKirov
OP

Post by CaptainKirov »

I like the idea of a new map reset if it there will be so much new terrain.

I am against moving stuff from the old one to the new one, with the sole exception being the spawn. It will create an unfair advantage.

My guess is that notch added NPC villages because he wants to make adventuring more attractive and that therefore it is possible to raid NPC villages and then collect a bounty (like diamonds or ingots).