Better polls

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
dpy
OP

Better polls

Post by dpy »

I'd love to see the polling situation improved. As it stands, "community consensus" can decide the fate of the server - the issue is that there's a huge degree of sampling bias here. Those who feel strongly about an issue (or those who are told by their friends to go seek out a thread on an issue) are wayyy more likely to go seek out and vote/comment on a forum topic than those who don't. I don't know what the solution is here, and am not claiming that only one group on this server has used this to their advantage where others have not. More exposure for currently active polls that have the possibility to noticeably change aspects of gameplay would be awesome though.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Re: Better polls

Post by worldruler086 »

dpy wrote:I'd love to see the polling situation improved. As it stands, "community consensus" can decide the fate of the server - the issue is that there's a huge degree of sampling bias here. Those who feel strongly about an issue (or those who are told by their friends to go seek out a thread on an issue) are wayyy more likely to go seek out and vote/comment on a forum topic than those who don't. I don't know what the solution is here, and am not claiming that only one group on this server has used this to their advantage where others have not. More exposure for currently active polls that have the possibility to noticeably change aspects of gameplay would be awesome though.
I agree, and this isn't a one-sided issue. For example, the limit had a large amount of people on BOTH sides when it came to actually voting. But it seems some players don't actually give a shit about it. When we were doing the voting, I'd post "who here wants to have a limit?" or "who wants to preserve vanilla?" and, to my surprise, got very little response (90% being piani trying to change my views. he wasn't successful). It's a case that, well, not everyone are activists, and not everyone actually go out and do things. Perhaps a ticker that posts "WE HAVE A VOTE ON SIMPLICITYPVP.NET" every few minutes, and admins trying to spread the word (preferably unbiased). However, this is an issue where what we're looking at isn't the problem, more the symptom. As a result, the solution won't be easy.
Yukar9
Admin

Re: Better polls

Post by Yukar9 »

Honestly I don't see a solution to this, in real world elections the vast majority of people don't give a shit either, we had a parliament election just a couple months ago, about half the people I happened to talk to (only about a dozen people, but still) said they knew which general block they wanted to support, but that they were unsure of which party or candidate they wanted to vote for, and were just planning to decide at the booths.

It's the exact same with campaigns irl as well, only a small group of people will feel strongly enough about something to campaign for it, but they still get quite a lot more votes from less enthusiastic voters.

In my opinion the current consensus version seems to work the best, we got a (nearly) unanimous decision on the spawn pvp, and it being based on a consensus it forces people to actually debate it rather than just mindlessly attempt to appeal to everybody else.