Solutions to CombatLogging

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

What should we do about Combat-Logging?

1. Remove the 2-second godmode
20%
2. Do nothing about Combat-Logging
60%
3. Do something about Combat-Logging, but not like this!
20%

Total votes: 10

YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Solutions to CombatLogging

Post by YoungsMC »

Over the past few weeks I've seen a lot of discussion regarding Combat-Logging.

A few of the suggested solutions to Combat-Logging depended on how the spawn was formed. An example of this was a suggestion for a smaller spawn. This would allow people to build traps where they normally couldn't, letting us counter combat logging near spawn.

However, these suggestions were misinformed for a very long time. We were missing a key fact in how Minecraft is coded:

Upon logging in, you have a 2-second godmode

Traps don't work. 99% of the time, Combat-Loggers will prevail. It doesn't matter if you are inside or outside the glowstone border.

Because of this, I think there is a simple solution.
  • Remove the 2-second godmode upon logging in.
    It can be argued that this 2-second godmode is a glitch. Either way, it gives Combat-Loggers a 99% chance at success. There are some pros out there that can set up a trap that will bypass this, but until this is changed a Combat-Logger doesn't have much to worry about.
I've tested the problem of 2-second godmode in Single Player, and in SP you don't have 2-second godmode upon logging in. Strange, but from that we can see nothing terrible will happen if we remove the 2-second godmode. This will even get rid of the problem of people who continuously log in and out in a fight so they have godmode 100% of the time.

Rebuttals!

What about lava? Combat-Loggers can't survive this!
Lava is nothing to Diamond Armor. It's very easy to survive this trap.

What if someone stumbles upon you after you log out?
Read suggestion 2.

This isn't vanilla
YoungsMC wrote:I think it's possible to convince you that 3 is vanilla. If it was for loading chunks, I'm sure Notch wouldn't have expected for anything to ever go on in that 2 second period of time. But he was wrong, and what happens for that small period of time where everything is loading starts interfering with the gameplay. Chunk errors are a problem with how the game loads that interfere with the gameplay, I doubt he wanted that to happen. If this 2 second godmode was for how the game loads, I doubt he'd want it to interfere with the gameplay as well.
Last edited by YoungsMC on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Re: Solutions to CombatLogging

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Thank you, Youngs. This poll is fairly fair, and it takes into consideration just about every point brought up about combat logging. Good job.
Gingeronamission
in diamond armor

Post by Gingeronamission »

Or Option 7 You cannot attack for 20 sec after relogging in
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Aaaaaaand then there's that.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

every one is sick of your whining. nothing is going to be done and nothing needs to be done about this as for the initial problem of loggin out in a protected area see my new spawn layout http://simplicitypvp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=678 this design eliminates the no build pvp area while also making it harder to get back into the safe zone to evade battle. But as far as logging out anywhere else on the map is concerned nothing will be done because logging out is a fudamental aspect of the game to punish people just for logging out would be very unvanilla also are you suggesting admins to do all the work enforcing these retarded rules. What if i log of just as i get shot by a skeleton hmmm i'd be killed when i log back on
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Aaaaaaaand then there's Rev.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Quite the boatload of issues.
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

@RevStoningpot

At this point you're whining about whining.
1. Logging out in a protected area is the same as logging outside of a protected area. Read the full post.
2. I even posted a link to the plugin I was talking about. Read the full post.
3. Logging out is a fundamental aspect of the game. Combat-Logging isn't. Read the full post.

Here's something you posted earlier:
RevStoningpot wrote:Xestia you are still retarded as ever. I don't play in creative mode I'm not even an op anymore. Your thinking of you and your boyfriend. I have said on countless occasions I am here to play bvanilla anarchy. Single player can't be concidered anarchy as there is only one player. Ergo the one player is the unquestioned ruling authority. A dictatorship not anarchy. And i've fucking told you pleanty of times before that I'm here to play minecraft (the way it's meant to be played with mining and crafting) with the added risk of player detection. Your the fucking queer ass shit bag that made it impossible for people to get to me so don't blame me for not being able to be found. So stop fucking accusing people of trying to make this a creative mode server because no one wants that and you know it. How about you take a few hours to think of a real argument. Seeing as the only one you had before was it would increase player activity and we have all seen that, that never happened. We still have no mre that 20 on average and as for your pesious pvp they all log out of battles and cause all the spawn rats to whine relentlessly. So go ahead and try to find a real reason why we need this limit. And if you attack my personal playing style as an argument against dropping the limit i will find a way to fuck you up bitch
From that post I can see that you believe 3 things-

1. You believe that your playstyle is "dead" because of the map limit.
2. You believe that Xestia's playstyle is "dead" because of Combat-Logging.
3. You want to revive your playstyle by removing the map limit.

So if your playstyle is dead, we should all vote against and repeal the map limit, but if Xestia's playstyle is dead, we should call him a "fucking queer ass shit bag"?
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

I agree with Youngs, but obviously people want the map limit taken off. I don't, it makes finding bases and pvp much funner. And I vote for antipvp.
RevStoningpot
Moron
Location: first star to the right and straight on till morning

Post by RevStoningpot »

i think you are confused. You have failed to define combatlogging and i thought your bitching was the same as every one else's. Initialy i tried to tell people that the true act of combat logging was when you log out and back in to use the momentary invicibility to winn a fight. But every one kept telling me that i was wrong and combat logging was simply the act of logging out to evade battle. So as far as the former goes i do belive the invincibility is a glitch that should be fixed (although it may be necessary for the game to safly log you in so you don't get killed in a wall while it's finding your possition) But to log off in general can't be punished a person logging off when they feel does nothing wrong to any one else that's why it's just plain bitching. You can't pusish some one if they have done nothing wrong to anyone else. As far as my post you took from a different topic that has nothing to do with this topic. Removing the limit removes an exess regulation from a server that's fundamentaly ruleless and vanilla where as fixing xestias problem means more sencless regulations to undermine the servers integrity