Solutions to CombatLogging

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started

What should we do about Combat-Logging?

1. Remove the 2-second godmode
20%
2. Do nothing about Combat-Logging
60%
3. Do something about Combat-Logging, but not like this!
20%

Total votes: 10

YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Re: Solutions to CombatLogging

Post by YoungsMC »

worldruler086 wrote:I don't personally agree with you, but I'll admit I respect you for trying to present your idea both passionately and while being open-minded. But you seem to be confused with why those who are saying "this isn't vanilla" are saying that. You see, the limit, as well as this proposal, does nothing for those players, and instead helps those on your side of the fence. I'm not saying appealing to your issues isn't a bad thing, but it seems simplicity used to be "play how you want to play", and now it has become "play how you want to play, but you have to follow these strict rules". So, once again, I disagree with you on this proposal, but I hope we can go through a formal discussion involving it.
I can see why you'd think that these aren't vanilla, and I won't be able to convince you that it is. Not to say that the Map Limit was a good idea, or that it worked, but it got approved despite being un-vanilla for a reason. There was so little PVP, that we had to resort to removing vanilla. If we weren't so desperate for PVP, there's no way it would ever be approved. This is the same case, but more agreeable since it only hurts the Combat-Loggers. With so many people Combat-Logging, I can easily say that things are just as desperate here. I'd even be willing to argue that Combat-Logging is a much bigger problem than lack of PVP. As RevStoningpot has implied, PVP sucks.

Also, rather than people who live outside 5k, people don't Combat-Log on a regular basis. If you're outside the 5k border you'll lose your bed and access to nether, which isn't very fun and can cause someone to quit, but I'm sure anyone can live without Combat-Logging.

One more thing, I think it's possible to convince you that 3 is vanilla. If it was for loading chunks, I'm sure Notch wouldn't have expected for anything to ever go on in that 2 second period of time. But he was wrong, and what happens for that small period of time where everything is loading starts interfering with the gameplay. Chunk errors are a problem with how the game loads that interfere with the gameplay, I doubt he wanted that to happen. If this 2 second godmode was for how the game loads, I doubt he'd want it to interfere with the gameplay as well.
Last edited by YoungsMC on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worldruler086
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by worldruler086 »

YoungsMC wrote:
worldruler086 wrote:I don't personally agree with you, but I'll admit I respect you for trying to present your idea both passionately and while being open-minded. But you seem to be confused with why those who are saying "this isn't vanilla" are saying that. You see, the limit, as well as this proposal, does nothing for those players, and instead helps those on your side of the fence. I'm not saying appealing to your issues isn't a bad thing, but it seems simplicity used to be "play how you want to play", and now it has become "play how you want to play, but you have to follow these strict rules". So, once again, I disagree with you on this proposal, but I hope we can go through a formal discussion involving it.
I can see why you'd think that these aren't vanilla, and I won't be able to convince you that it is. Not to say that the Map Limit was a good idea, or that it worked, but it got approved despite being un-vanilla for a reason. There was so little PVP, that we had to resort to removing vanilla. If we weren't so desperate for PVP, there's no way it would ever be approved. This is the same case, but more agreeable since it only hurts the Combat-Loggers. With so many people Combat-Logging, I can easily say that things are just as desperate here. I'd even be willing to argue that Combat-Logging is a much bigger problem than lack of PVP. As RevStoningpot has implied, PVP sucks.

Also, rather than people who live outside 5k, people don't Combat-Log on a regular basis. If you're outside the 5k border you'll lose your bed and access to nether, which isn't very fun and can cause someone to quit, but I'm sure anyone can live without Combat-Logging.
You did it again. You're looking at the limit too single-mindedly. I don't mean to change the topic, but the limit passed because those who voted yes wanted an increase in pvp, and those against felt it betrayed the server's vanilla doctrine. And you're right about this add-on not meaning anything for me. It also doesn't help me. In fact, I'm only against it because it's against the vanilla doctrine.
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

Yes, I can't argue that 2 is vanilla. My point there was that sometimes things can take priority over vanilla. If your heart is set on vanilla, I can't argue with that.

Anyway, I made an edit to the post while you were quoting it. I believe that 3 can actually appeal to people who want vanilla.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

My major reason why I'm against this, and anything like it, is because simplicity was my last server I could find that was vanilla. It only hammered in an unfortunate truth that any vanilla server you find will eventually morph into a streamlined mess for players that enjoy killing and greifing.
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

Like I said, if your heart is set on vanilla, #1 or #2 isn't for you. Still, take #3 into consideration.
worldruler086

Post by worldruler086 »

tbh, this just hammered in the concept that simplicity, at least for me, is beyond repair. I stayed for awhile to see if it would change for what I view as the better. it isn't. In fact, it's changing for the worst. I'm just going to stop seeing the forums here. It's not use. Simplicity is no longer for me, and it never will be.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Well then. Congratz all, this arguing has gotten us next to nowhere.
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

Nah, arguing helps on the Suggestions forum. Just because it's tied right now doesn't mean we're in a huge dilemna. And I think since the second vote for most of us would be 3, Yukar might choose that as a compromise.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

I think that we all ought to keep to our close minded opinions to ourself and deal with whatever happens. I vote that we remove the forum and take down the server while we're at it. Seems reasonable, it solves all the current problems.
Gingeronamission
in diamond armor

Post by Gingeronamission »

Oh shat ta hell up foshinz