Map Limit Discussion Thread

Post various suggestions here, if support is shown for your suggestion a vote will be started
pianiseemo
OP

Map Limit Discussion Thread

Post by pianiseemo »

Many months ago, there was a heated battle on this very forum.

These were the questions asked.

Would the 5k map limit succeed in increasing PvP significantly?
Answer: YES, it has. The limit has been undeniably successful in this respect. Since the map limit has passed, PvP has increased threefold, probably a lot more. There are constant fights at spawn and throughout the limit between well-armed players. Feuds between rival groups have finally arisen. Simplicity has become a server of action.

Would the limit be catastrophic to our player base?
Answer: Absolutely not. Nearly every single one of the limit opponents who threatened to quit the server are still thriving today, some outside the border, some within. To the contrary, the majority of the player base is now much happier, and there's been a marked decrease in threads titled "Simplicity is boring. y no pvp. h8 u yukar9"

Would the limit lead to a marked increase in X-Raying? X-raying has increased, but no where near the projected levels. We have X-ray reports every so often, but the same has always happened. Certainly, the limit inevitably increases X-raying, because bases are more condensed and easier to raid. But I'm sure we can find a solution to the X-ray problem (e.g. More OPs, Better procedures, Better plugins) that doesn't involve compromising PvP.

So let's logically consider whether the limit has been a success.
1) PvP has skyrocketed since its implementation. The limit has 110% met its goal.
2) The old player base, rather than quitting the server in droves, is actually generally happier with the increased action.
3) Downside: X-raying. X-raying has increased. A few recommendations for solving this issue are listed above. However, it's not like bases (or at least good ones) are lasting a matter of weeks before getting X-rayed. And here's my question: Would you be willing to sacrifice all action on a PvP server to reduce X-raying a little (Yes, only a little, because plenty of X-raying existed both BEFORE and AFTER the limit)? If you think I'm exaggerating the inaction of the server before the limit, think again. How many fights were there? ZERO.

If the limit is too constricting, perhaps we can increase it. But do we really want to remove it? Just look to the past, and think about what the limit has done for you.

Go vote on the limit at http://www.simplicitypvp.net/forum/view ... ?f=5&t=828
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Re: Map Limit Discussion Thread

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Pianiseemo does indeed raise some good points, but there are many points that can heavily argued against this, of which I won't go into detail. I will say this though. If a point has already been made, try and not keep repeating it unless referring to it or clarifying.
YoungsMC
in diamond armor

Post by YoungsMC »

Xray'ing is a problem so let's remove the world boundary and get rid of all PvP.
Xray'ing is a problem so let's install anti-Xray and drop our FPS to 2.
Xray'ing is a problem so let's ban everyone just to make sure that all Xray'ers can't join the server.
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

No... I think more active mods with different time zones would help. We barely have any on at nighttime here in vancouver.
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

Yeah...the other solution is that I think more active mods with different time zones would help. We barely have any on at nighttime here in vancouver. I'm not saying this to get myself re-opped in any way, i'm just offering a suggestion.
pianiseemo
OP

Post by pianiseemo »

So I'm assuming that both Youngs and Bloop are pro-limit?

@FoS, if all my arguments can be countered, y u no post the counters now so I can counter counter you? Otherwise it seems like one big bluff =P
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Others have stated them before. And they have been countered. Boom.
Gnatogryz
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by Gnatogryz »

I've never been a fan of an infinite world either. It just makes no sense to me. Whether we should extend the limit or not - that is a whole different discussion, but I feel quite safe within the 10k x 10k blocks.
mitte90
OP

Post by mitte90 »

the idea that there was no pvp before the limit is a big lie it have created a bit of extra fighting near spawn but have not seen any increase 500 and out more then arranged ones.
and had a huge increase in xrays u dont see all the reports and even some that dont get reported.. it was not a big problem before but now it is..

AND FOR THE LAST TIME more ops will NOT effect xraying.
Bloop the poop
Moron

Post by Bloop the poop »

Pro-Limit all the way. Sorry to piss you of piani...just offering a suggestion.