Minecraft 1.2

Announcements about changes/updates/downtime/etc
Bloop the poop
Moron

Re: Minecraft 1.2

Post by Bloop the poop »

Just wondering, I'm not asking for the whole process but what is upgrading the server and installing the mods like? Is it kinda just like modifying the .jar file? I'd never be able to run my own server cuz all I have is a laptop but yeah.....
waronchickens97
in diamond armor

Post by waronchickens97 »

This is an external port server. It can be upgraded via mcmyadmin or a file system like filezilla.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Updating the server is simply changing the minecraft_server.jar out with the newly updated one. Installing plugins is simply dropping them into the plugins folder. It's all very, layman friendly.
last_einheri
wannabe troll, flaming us by entering arbitrary words in capslock

Post by last_einheri »

i don't really know much about how applying server updates works, but it seems to me that since 1.2 adds a unique biome, that converting already existing terrain wouldn't really be possible...

so will this new biome be somehow implemented in the course of the conversion? because there are several features within the new jungle biome, most notably ocelots.

also, will npc villages be rebuilt? since there are a number of new features pertaining to them as well...

it seems to me (with my limited knowledge on the subject) that to really take advantage of the new content, you would need to entirely restart the server... or employ some sort of java wizardy...

so are you a thaumaturge? be honest.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Heh no sorry I'm not, map generation has changed quite a lot of times, and we can't reset the map each time. Sorry, but some of the features won't be completely available, at least not for now.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

Any idea as to how many more terrain gen changing updates it will take before we reset?
yourcreepyuncle
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by yourcreepyuncle »

If Mojang is still thinking about a Skyworld, I think that would be a good time.
FoSchnizzle
Moron

Post by FoSchnizzle »

If the skyworld is implemented as was planned, through sleeping, it may not be even accessible in SMP.
yourcreepyuncle
hated the previously assigned rank

Post by yourcreepyuncle »

Through sleeping???? Thats how they plan players to access it? I mean sure someone will create some type of mod for SMP to fix that.
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

Well, wouldn't a skyworld be a separate world? Like the nether.

FoSchnizzle, they'll always change the terrain generation. We can change it, and then the terrain generation will be changed again, and we have to reset all over. So really it's a bit pointless, unless we plan to reset the map on every update (gasp)