Yukar, there's been a mistake! I was NOT the ddoser

Report hackers, or find out why you were banned
joseph3114
still building aboveground

Yukar, there's been a mistake! I was NOT the ddoser

Post by joseph3114 »

Sunday morning around 2AM EST I decided to use a port scanning tool to see if there were any open ports on the server.
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

I was hoping to find Dynmap secretly running - as our base in is fairly isolated and we were hoping to see the surrounding landscape. I needed this tool as I assumed you wouldn’t use the default Dynmap port to prevent discovery of it.
The first port to respond, 21, which is the standard FTP port, is what I tried first. ftp://simplicitypvp.net:21 in hopes that there would be an anonymous login available, as some ftp servers offer, so I could see exactly what plugins were running, as /plugins doesn’t work.

Anonymous login didn’t work, so I tried a few variations of the default passwords. From what you said earlier, Yukar, there were only 3 login attempts, and then I quit. I realize how malicious this may seem, but this has been severely misinterpreted.  

The next port that I found was 8080, which is the administrative login for the server, and also the default port for McMyAdmin. I also tried the default user name and password for this to see if it would work. It did not, and like the ftp, I quit trying.

Today, the server, according to you was being DDOSed, and my IP happened to be in the logs from last night.
PLEASE look at the timestamps on them, I DID NOT ddos the server, I DID NOT try to ssh in as root, and I didn’t get anywhere from the port scan. Someone else did.
Please unblock my IP address from your server.

Edit: Go through "/helps 1" through "/helps 16" in game to see all the commands running. The mass of plugins is why I had hope Dynmap may also be running.
Edit2: Dnymap is a plugin, NOT a client mod!! ex http://warhub.tommytony.com:8123/

TL;DR: I tried connecting to open ports looking for Dynmap. This got my IP logged and confused with an alleged DDOSer. If there actually was a ddos , the wrong IP is banned!
Last edited by joseph3114 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Re: IP unban appeal

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

So you went through this complicated-ass process just to find the surrounding area of your base? Why not just explore the area. You could have easily used this to your advantage.
joseph3114

Post by joseph3114 »

The problem is that water surrounds us for at least 5,000 blocks in all directions.

According to MinecraftWiki, ocean biomes can span up to 25,000 blocks. This is what we needed to confirm or deny without sailing that far. Boats are quite miserable on SMP.
LoneSoldier55
Moron

Post by LoneSoldier55 »

But you can Easily find something above ground and take advantage of this. You can easily find someone's base with it. If this is a real-time thing, it can be even worse.
joseph3114

Post by joseph3114 »

Yeah - so wouldn't it be awesome to find out that the server was running it?
Turns out it's not.
Bloop the poop
Moron

Re: Yukar, there's been a mistake! I was NOT the ddoser

Post by Bloop the poop »

Sorry to put you down, but this in a way seems like hacking. You are learning about the map around you by using a program which tells you, rather than finding it yourself. It's like xray. It shows you where stuff is but your not actually doing it. :/ i also see how it could be used to find bases. I know scouting out the area around your base is a bitch, but just go get a fellow player to do it.
joseph3114

Post by joseph3114 »

Bloop the poop wrote:Sorry to put you down, but this in a way seems like hacking. You are learning about the map around you by using a program which tells you, rather than finding it yourself. It's like xray. It shows you where stuff is but your not actually doing it. :/ i also see how it could be used to find bases. I know scouting out the area around your base is a bitch, but just go get a fellow player to do it.
You're missing the point. I was banned for something unrelated that happened a day later because my IP happened to be in the log from it.
Also, Dynmap is a plugin that shows the world map, it's not hacking if Yukar was to have it running publicly for personal purposes. Which he didn't.

Here's an example I found. You make it sound like it's a client mod.
http://warhub.tommytony.com:8123/
Yukar9
Admin

Post by Yukar9 »

I know you didn't do the attack last night, I just saw your IP in the logs and jumped to the conclusion, and I apologize for this, I know that this happened several hours before the attack.

I count 8 login attempts from you, not 3. That's 4 as anonymous, 1 as admin, 1 as yukar9, 1 as yukar90, and 1 as yukarion.

Still, the fact that you were even trying to gain access to the server should be enough for a ban.

You're not permabanned yet though, we'll see what happens.
joseph3114

Post by joseph3114 »

I do realize how malicious those login attempts seem, but please give me the benefit of the doubt here. A login window popped up so I tried the first things that came to mind - nothing more than that.
joseph3114

Post by joseph3114 »

Oh and admin is the default username for McMyAdmin.
I wasn't trying to gain root access with that, nor did I try and ssh in as root.